Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Tsunami Relief!

After three months of an intense introduction to Thai culture via various teaching stints I am now onto the Tsunami Volunteer center in Khao Lac. Although an altruistic endeavor, it was heavily fueled by the desire to quench my need for westernization. The Tsunami Volunteer Center (TVC) usually has around 50-200 international volunteers at anytime. This dynamic group has a constant flow of newcomers that have provided me with crazy tales of international travel! I can't even try to compare my vacations to sky diving tours around the world, Sri Lankan war stories, or motorcycling through Vietnam. Thus I happily welcome the company of my new western comrades. Because contrary to what I expected, Asian culture has been quite a bit to handle. Ha..and I thought I was cultured.
I can actually speak the language now, although it did take me awhile. I am thinking that being tone deaf does not help when learning a tonal language. However learning the language doesn't help me understand all of their culture enigmas. Like how the Thais frenzy over having white skin with lackluster waif-like features to match, or the huge emphasis on grace and positioning of spoons and forks, not to mention that their education system has more holes than a colander (which always makes teaching interesting). So it is good to be around foreigners for a while 'till I hit the totally Thai scene again.
Meanwhile I am doing construction. It is quite heavy duty work (cement + monsoons = tons of fun). Also paying for accommodation and food here might run me dry pretty soon. Thus I may be heading back to teaching after a while. Meanwhile I do happen to be quite close to the amazing beaches of Thailand right now. So stories of clear waters and blond beaches are to come!

8 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift you sent to Grandpa Parries and the family...Thank-u. We miss you.Love Ya Auntie Hel

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma misses you. Love the spices you sent. That was a nice, thoughtful gift. Mom said you have new pictures but I am not getting them. Wish you could see our condo.. It is now all new & just finished--I am still not use to it as it is so different. Hope I can last a year without seeing--in person--that big dimpled smile.

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma misses you. Love the spices you sent. That was a nice, thoughtful gift. Mom said you have new pictures but I am not getting them. Wish you could see our condo.. It is now all new & just finished--I am still not use to it as it is so different. Hope I can last a year without seeing--in person--that big dimpled smile.

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now we found your pictures twice!!!
Great pics--looks like your having fun --and so are the elephants! Watch out for train crossings--that was a scary picture.

Take care, have fun and be safe!!!
Love,
Your family
Mom, Martin,Seth & Bryan

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUST SAW THE NEW PICTURES AND THEY ARE AWESOME--YOU ARE HAVING WONDERFUL EXPERIENCES AND LOOK BEAUTIFUL THROUGH THEM ALL. GRANDMA ENVIES YOU. ON MY COMPUTER IT TOOK 35 MINUTES TO SEE EVERY PICTURE. LOVE LOVE & MORE LOVE.

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie Peggy says, your pictures are beautiful. Look like you are having the time of your life. Enjoy. Love and miss you.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I still keep tabs on you and think of you! You are a beautiful writer. I love the way you color your words with your own personality. You are experiencing quite an adventure. Post more pictures when you can. Stay well, be safe, and maybe you should try becoming a journalist out there! Love, Kathy

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alyse:

This is your journalist cousin, Josh. I'm impressed with your writing ability. Do you write short stories? Your writing even on an informal blog is detailed and concise, but free of GSP errors (grammar, spelling, punctuation). I'm impressed, and judging by the comments on your photos maybe you should be a journalist. Plus you take good photographs as well.

Love,
Josh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home